The purpose/function of the Mushroom Group is to:
- share our experience of mushroom growing so those with less experience can benefit from the knowledge of those who are more experienced.
- share resources and equipment
- buy supplies/equipment in bulk to reduce postage
- encourage more people to grow their own mushrooms.
- Arrange swaps of mycelium with other groups and individuals.
Suggested projects/activities for the group are:
- propagate shiitake mycelium and grain spawn to inoculate logs. We will have access to some oak logs from a tree which is being lopped this week so this can be one our first projects.
- experiment with liquid cultures
- develop a mycelium bank
- develop a spore print bank
- experiment with growing from spores
- establish a mushroom garden at the Dairy Flat Rd City Farm site
- organise mushroom propagation courses and workshops.