Attend a workshop or event
Upcoming workshops/courses/events that are being run by Urban Agriculture Australia, our collaborating organisations, or by others are:
Introduction to Fermentation Workshop
Do you want to learn how to preserve food by lacto-fermentation?
It’s surprisingly simple and the food is so good for you!
Canberra City Farm is offering an introductory workshop on preserving food by the method of lacto-fermentation.
This is a traditional method of preserving food and most societies have their traditional ferments, such as sauerkraut in Europe and kimchi in Korea.
What is lacto-fermentation good for:
- Making food more nutritious by breaking down difficult-to- digest compounds
- Increasing nutrient levels of Vitamin C and some of the B vitamins
- Promoting a diverse and healthy gut flora; modern research is revealing how very important one’s gut flora are to health.
Details for the workshop:
Date: Sunday 29 May 2016
Time: 9:00 a.m to 12:30 p.m
Location: 2 Dairy Road, Fyshwick
Cost: $20 (CCF members) or $40 (non-members*). The course fee includes ingredients but not fermenting jars.
What will you learn and be supplied with:
- the principles of fermentation including how to prepare ferments safely and how to store them
- information on equipment (some will be on display to help participants decide what works best for them)
- an opportunity to make and take home your own vegetable ferment
- Canberra City Farm will provide ingredients for a South American spiced sauerkraut and a zucchini mustard relish
- to take home a ferment you need to either bring your own fermentation jar or purchase a jar at the workshop (information on jar options will be provided when you register).
If you have excess garden produce that you are willing to donate to the workshop ferments, then when you register please let us know what it is and the amount you propose to donate.
Places are limited and bookings are essential, so if you would like to participate in this workshop, please e-mail email@example.com
Note: Annual Membership: $10 concession, $20 individual. For more information visit: www.ccfarm.org.au/get-involved/become-a-member
Four Seasons Workshops #3
Do you want to build, extend, or improve your own garden or gardening skills?
Canberra City Farm is offering this monthly series of gardening workshops that will cover the planning and knowledge needed to build and maintain gardens across the four seasons of a year.
These workshops will also help to develop the demonstration gardens (backyard, courtyard and balcony) at the Canberra City Farm Dairy Road site, maintain the existing orchard and vineyard, and to establish the feijoa orchard.
Details for the third workshop:
Date: Sunday 29 May 2016
Time: 1 p.m to 4 p.m
Where: 2 Dairy Flat Road, Fyshwick
Cost: $10 (CCF members); $30 (non-members); FREE (those agreeing to volunteer)
What this workshop will cover:
- The focus of this workshop will be on winter pruning of fruiting plants. Participants will learn to recognise fruiting wood and practice pruning techniques appropriate for common fruit trees and vines with an emphasis on varieties growing in the City Farm orchard. These include apples, pears, nectarines, peaches, plums, almonds, apricots, medlars and grapes.
- Techniques to ensure the maintenance of orchard hygiene will also be covered.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own secateurs, pruning saws and loppers and participate in the winter pruning of the trees in the City Farm orchard and vineyard.
Goals for the month.
- Pruning the orchard fruit trees and grape vines.
Places are limited and bookings are essential, so if you would like to participate in the workshops and volunteer to work in the garden, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.