Attend a workshop or event
Upcoming workshops/courses/events that are being run by Urban Agriculture Australia, our collaborating organisations, or by others are:
Four Seasons Workshop #7: Sunday 25 September
Do you want to build, extend, or improve your own garden or gardening skills?
Canberra City Farm is offering this monthly series of gardening workshops that will cover the planning and knowledge necessary for building and maintaining gardens across the four seasons of a year.
These workshops will also help develop the demonstration gardens (backyard, courtyard and balcony) at the Canberra City Farm Dairy Road site, maintain the existing orchard and vineyard, and to establish the feijoa orchard.
Details for the seventh workshop are:
Date: Sunday 25 September
Time: 1:00 p.m to 4:00 p.m
Location: 2 Dairy Road, Fyshwick
Cost: $10 (CCF members); $30 (non-members); FREE (those agreeing to volunteer)
What to bring: Please bring along pests or diseases from your garden for identification
This will be a combined workshop and working bee and will cover:
- application of organic principles to plant pest and disease control;
- application of Integrated Pest and Disease Management to the CCF orchard, vineyard and gardens;
- recognition of common plant pests and diseases and understanding their life cycles;
- recognition of beneficial insects, their life cycles and the habitats required to support them in the garden; and
- organic control methods for common plant pests and diseases.
Goals for the month:
- prepare demonstration garden beds;
- start plant propagation for the demonstration garden;
- monitor the CCF orchards, vineyard and gardens for pests and diseases; and
- implement appropriate organic control measures as required.
Places are limited, and bookings are essential, so if you would like to participate in the workshops, please e-mail: email@example.com.
Seed Savers Session: Sunday 2 October
The next Canberra Seed Savers Get-Together is scheduled for Sunday 2 October 2pm-5pm at the Canberra City Farm Education Centre, 2 Dairy Road, Fyshwick.
We’ll be in the main building co-located with the Jerrabomberra Wetlands Office, which has kitchen access. There is heaps of off-street parking if you drive in through the second gate.
As well as our usual seed saving, we’ll be experimenting with making seed bombs of herb and vegie seeds. Come along and we’ll experiment together!
We’ve also got lots of seeds to sort and bag and label ready for markets and stalls over the coming months – and also to share around for growing out. If you have any spare seeds, please bring along for swapping, sharing or contributing to the central seed bank.
If you have any old gardening magazines, please bring these along as well (we make them into seed packets). Ideas for markets, fairs and stalls where we can sell Canberra Seed Savers seeds would be very welcome as well!
As always, BYO nibbles and drinks.
Proposed Canberra Seed Savers Get-Togethers for 2016 at the Canberra City Farm Education Centre:
- Sunday 2 October from 2pm-5pm
- Sunday 6 November from 2pm-5pm
- Sunday 4 November from 2pm-5pm
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous workshops/courses that have been run by Urban Agriculture Australia are:
- Seed Savers: Monthly from August 2016
- Worm Composting Workshop: Sunday 31 July 2016
- Introduction to Fermentation Workshop: Sunday 29 May 2016
- Four Seasons Workshop: Monthly from January 2016
- Bokashi & other Microbial Inoculants: November 2015
- Feijoa Grafting Workshop: August 2015
- Gourmet Mushroom Propagation Course: June 2015
- Wicking Bed Workshop: May 2015
- Propagation Workshop: May 2015
- Let It Grow Mentoring Training: May 2015
- Green Manure Workshop: April 2015
- Compost Workshop: March 2015
- Container Painting Day: March 2015
- Soils and garden preparation: February 2015
- City of Food Series: September 2014
- Floriade Exploratory Pathway Display: September-October 2014
- Floriade Information & Communications Workshop: September 2014
- Floriade Set-up Workshop: September 2014
- Propagation Workshop: August 2014
- Floriade General Construction: August 2014
- Propagation Workshop: July 2014
- Cob and Rocket Stove Construction Workshop: September 2013
- Introduction to Communicating Urban Agriculture: August 2013
- Introduction to Permaculture Design: August 2013
- Seedling workshop: July 2013
- Growing herbs from cuttings: July 2013